Mycenae – Epidaurus | Two Days Tour
- Epidaurus, Mycenae
- Half to One Day Sightseeing
- 2 Days
- From 151 EUR
Visit the renowned sites of the ancient world, the city of Mycenae and the theatre of Epidaurus
- 1st Day
- Starting from Athens we drive westwards along the scenic coast, until we reach the Corinth Canal with its breathtaking views for a short stop.
The Corinth Canal is a junction of international sea transport and serves ships coming from the western Mediterranean and Adriatic en route to eastern Mediterranean and black sea ports and vice-versa. The Corinth Canal intersects the Isthmus of Corinth and has a length of 6.343m. The minimum width of the canal at sea level is 24.6m and bottom width of 21m at 8m depth.
We continue our trip along the coastal road of the Saronic Gulf to Mycenae for an extended visit.
Mycenae 'Rich in Gold', the kingdom of mythical Agamemnon, first sung by Homer in his epics, is the most important and richest palatial centre of the Late Bronze Age in Greece. Its name was given to one of the greatest civilizations of Greek prehistory, the Mycenaean civilization.
Then we depart for Nauplion, the 1st capital of Greece in 1829. Lunch and the afternoon at your leisure. We shall overnight in Nauplion.
- 2nd Day
- Free morning at leisure to stroll through the streets of Nauplion and then depart for Epidaurus for our visit.
On the headland called "Nesi" at Palaia Epidaurus, the theatre of the ancient city is quite well-preserved, in the shape it acquired during the latter years of its function. Apart from a few rows of seats, the cavea is made of limestone with poros staircases.
Until now, nine cunei with eighteen rows of seats have been excavated, which originally could accommodate about 2000 spectators. All the benches and thrones of the theatre carry inscriptions with the names of the donors while implying a direct relationship of the monument with the cult of Dionysus.
The theater is marvelled for its exceptional acoustics, which permit almost perfect intelligibility of unamplified spoken word from the proscenium or scene to all 12,000 spectators, regardless of their seating
In the afternoon we drive back to Athens.
- Participants on this tour will have an afternoon and morning at leisure for swimming or strolling through the street of Nauplion.
- The program is realised in French and Spanish on specific days. Please request.
- Transportation with deluxe motorcoach
- Official english speaking guide
- One night accomodation at Tourist Class or First Class hotel as per your choice on Half Board Basis (1 breakfast and 1 dinner)
- Prices include entrance fees for visits of museums and archeological sites (as specified in itineraries) and taxes
- All personal expenses
- Everything that is not specifically mentioned in the "Included" section
For further information and assistance, please, contact us at email@example.com